Tuesday 30 December 2014

Devon on Danks, Waterloo

I like green eggs and ham,
I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!
And I would eat them in a boat!
And I would eat them with a goat…


My mind constantly makes lists, all types of lists. I have a list of places I want to eat at (naturally), places I want to see, things I want to do and inevitably a massive list of what to do during my uni and work break. And who would have thought that during the beginning of this break, I haven’t even caught a break! I haven’t had time to sit and do anything personal. But there is one thing that has been happening during this festive and silly season and that is allowing my camera to eat (so, I guess list one is getting covered).


Elevate health, fitness and nutrition [EHFN] asked when I was free for a lunch catch up, and we both set the date. Because that girl is one hard girl to lock down! Devon on Danks has been going around like crazy lately, and if there is anything we have in common it would be scrolling through instagram for food.

Organic chai $4

We are met with familiarity with the flowers placed on tables like (the original) Devon Cafe. Their chai latte was nice, however I would have liked a sprinkle of cinnamon. #hardtoplease

'Naked' bruschetta $14.50

EHFN ordered the ‘naked bruschetta’ consisting of roasted pumpkin, pea and goat’s curd mousse, sage and konbu butter crunch, soybeans, pea tendrils, focaccia and their infamous 63 degree eggs. EFHN was licking her lips at every bite!

Dr Seuss's green egg and ham $19


As for myself, I had been eying the green eggs and ham for a long time and the charred bacon did not disappoint at all, sitting on top of a crispy potato. The pea puree was smooth covering, again, their infamous 63 degree egg. I was simply over the moon at the soft, smokey bacon anticipating almost every bite.

DD special $7

There was also no way I was going to surpass my chance on ordering the DD special, it is basically the reason why everyone has popped into Devon on Danks thus far. Sitting just to the side of the layer of chunky, fat chips was a perfect swirl of salted caramel soft serve. The ratio of salty and sweet was well balanced and eating it with chips reminds me of eating Maccas French fries with a soft serve – only this is the classier version.

Sweet mayo & pork floss cronnie $6.50

Cronuts, no wait, sorry cronnies here at Devon on Danks, because cronuts has been copyrighted – as you do. The saltyness from the pork floss was actually a nice compliment to the flakey cronnie. Each bite oozed out with mayonnaise from within, this reminded EFHN of her childhood favourite pork floss bun from chinese bakeries. She loved it so much, a second pork floss cronnie was ordered.

Doughnuts $7 (3 pieces)

Three doughnuts available, and my favourite would have to be the raspberry one for the sourness from the raspberry helped bring a nice refreshing touch to the doughnut. Of course it was not because I had a little pipe to squeeze …


The milo doughnut oozed with milo ganache, however it reminded my very much of the chocolate yogo yoghurts I used to have as a child and last but not least (I use that very casually) was the matcha and azuki doughnut, only because I am a very big selector on how red bean paste is used in desserts, and it’s usually just for the fried red bean pastries.

So, tell me have you got a word you would love to copyright yourself? If so, what would it be?

Last but not least, I hope you all have a very happy and safe new year. May your year ahead be as bright as a warm summer's day, as colourful as a crisp autumn's day, as beautiful as a snowing winter's day and as floral as a blooming spring's day!

Hit: DD special. Pork floss cronnie
Miss: -

Devon on Danks
2 Danks St,
Waterloo

Devon on Danks on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

  1. I've heard so much about the hot chips and soft serve! Do you know that I've never dunked chips in ice cream-crazy or what? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love green eggs and ham! :). loving all the new dishes at the danks street branch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right, just looking at the menu has me craving for more!
      Totally need to head back for more food :)

      Delete
  3. That pea puree looks incredible! Happy New Year, Cassie, and here's to even more incredible eats in 2015 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Helen!! Wishing you all the best for 2015! :)
      The pea puree was nice and smooth, and I'm not usually one that likes peas too!

      Delete
  4. I loved the green eggs and ham! Was not a fan of the pork floss cronut though, was too strange for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww ... but then I do see where you are coming from. It is a rather ... acquired taste

    ReplyDelete